- Reports To: Executive Director
- Type: Limited Term Contract (2.5 years)
- Location: South Africa preferred
Africa No Filter is an initiative of a donor collaborative funded by Ford Foundation, Bloomberg, Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Luminate and Open Society Foundations.
We are a donor collaborative that supports the development of nuanced and contemporary stories that shift existing, stereotypical narratives within and about Africa. Through research, grant making and advocacy we aim to build the field of narrative change makers by supporting storytellers, investing in media platforms and driving disruption campaigns. ANF’s goal over time is to leave an empowered narrative change ecosystem and an informed community of storytellers who work more deliberately to change harmful narratives within and about Africa.
Our priorities are:
- Advocacy and Advisory interventions: where we elevate knowledge of storytelling and narrative in Africa for ANF outcomes and foster networks and collaborations to build a stronger narrative change eco-system
- Research: where we scope the Culture and Creative sector to identify the ANF community, potential partners and opportunities for collaboration. We aim to better understand narrative by addressing questions that unpack African narratives and explore the impact on
key development issues
- Grant Making: where we invest in content creation, dissemination platforms and disruption campaigns as well as ANF programs, initiatives to support Creative communities and build the narrative change ecosystem
SENIOR MANAGER, COMMUNICATIONS: ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Communications Manager is responsible for ensuring we amplify the work of the creative community we support, our grantees in the narrative change ecosystem, the research we invest in and the ANF brand. The role will also include grant making to media organisations aligned to our mission. ANF is in start-up mode and requires someone that is entrepreneurial in nature and highly
networked with the ability to innovate rapidly. He/she will be expected to create engaging content, strategic design, a range of on-line & off-line communication policies, press materials, articles, and both traditional and social media opportunities to share the ANF vision and brand. The ideal candidate must be an excellent communicator, with strong presentation and organizational skills along with knowledge of the research, arts, entertainment, and culture sectors across Africa.
KEY TASKS INCLUDE:
- Ability to develop and execute a strategic communications plan in line with the ANF mission.
- Manage the corporate communications, digital, public affairs, press office and e-marketing communication strategies.
- Manage all external agencies and consultants focused on communications, this includes strategy creation, implementation, budgeting, and quality control.
Public Relation Skills:
- Ability to write and place media releases/opinion pieces/articles in targeted publications across sub Saharan Africa.
- Excellent media relationships in Africa.
- Negotiate sponsorships and media partnerships, in line with the mission of the organization.
- Identify appropriate print and social media channels for targeted campaigns and outreach, while establishing an effective presence in trade magazines, traditional media outlets and social media sites.
- Optimize print, social media and blog campaigns to generate interaction, brand exposure, and partnership opportunities.
- Prepare detailed media activity reports and content calendar plans.
- Manage the ANF newsletter with targeted distribution to various stakeholders.
- Create, update, and manage targeted media lists.
- Manage all influencer engagements while supervising databases, outreach and in some instances the creation of specific lists relevant to ANF priorities.
- Digital strategist who thinks digital first with a strong understanding of the intersection between traditional and social communication efforts.
- Knowledge and experience of building and maintaining a digital community.
- Deep knowledge of social media platforms and how to utilize them for the best outcomes on behalf of ANF.
- Experience of overseeing digital projects in different African countries.
- Knowledge of grant making to the media sector and beyond.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate grants while tracking impact and outcomes.
Qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Proven experience creating targeted content and getting it posted/published.
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques.
- Experience working in a communications agency and/or managing one is an asset.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to multitask and work well under pressure.
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities.
- Experience developing and implementing high level communication strategies.
- Ability to multitask and project manage.
- Entrepreneurial, fast paced problem solver with the ability to think strategically.
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by: 16th June. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.